In 2012, there were about 1.6 million people in the U.S. working in bioscience-based jobs, who took home an average salary in the mid-$80,000s. The biotech industry’s wages are about 80% higher than the average private sector job in the U.S., and while biotech saw a small decline in the last five years, job losses weren’t as bad as in industries like aerospace or software.
Venture capital flow into biotech has steadily risen during the last four or five years, and in the preceding year there were 35 big exits in biotech and medical devices. Taken together, those 35 big deals in the life sciences generated $8.8 billion in up-front returns to investors. That figure inflates to $12.7 billion when counting the future milestone payments, though there is nothing guaranteed except for optimism. This has helped to offset some of the reduction in NIH direct spending, post financial crisis. Overall, the biotech sector remains vibrant and positive.
This Biotechnology Research Review provides a sampling of the type of quantitative market information, analysis and guidance that has been aiding business decision making since BCC was founded in 1971. It includes highlights from the following reports published in 2012:
- Global Markets for Media, Sera and Reagents in Biotechnology (BIO014G)
- DNA Sequencing: Emerging Technologies and Applications (BIO045D)
- Antibody Drugs: Technologies and Global Markets (BIO016H)
- Biosimilars: Global Markets (BIO090A)
- Kinase Inhibitors: Global Markets (BIO053C)
- Nanoparticles in Biotechnology, Drug Development and Drug Delivery (BIO113A)
- Drug Discovery Technologies (BIO020D)
- Agricultural Biotechnology: Emerging Technologies and Global Markets (BIO100A)
We hope you find this Research Review valuable, and we look forward to serving our customers’ biotechnology market research needs.
BCC Research market research reports offer the competitive intelligence, market data, analysis, and forecasts needed to make strategic, financially sound decisions in your industry.
Upcoming report information can be found on our Web site at Upcoming market research reports Section.